Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How I got on at the Young Scientist!


When I arrived, I immediately went to see the Physics and Engineering section. There weren't many interesting projects in that area, I'll be honest. However, there were some cool attractions and stands for me to visit.


There was a "STEM" Module, which was parked outside and simulated rocket launches and demonstrated various experiments. There was also a "Astronomy Ireland" corner, which handed out back issues of different science magazines, and an ESA DVD on the Hubble telescope, a free astronomy starter kit and some stationary! I got loads of freebies :)


Another interesting thing to see was the John H. Rudolph Planetarium! You crawl into the inflated dome, and the guide shows you various planets, stars and constellations etc....in very high definition. The projectore in the dome makes it feel like you are actually in space, looking at all the different celestial objects :P I thought it was pretty cool


We also met Deirdre Clune, who is a TD ( for those who aren't from Ireland- that means a member of parliament). We also got a few pictures taken with her, which I have posted above. She spent a few minutes talking to us about what careers we will have, where we hope to study, what subjects we will be taking...questions like that. She seemed really nice, and genuine- unlike some other politicians!
Overall it was a really good day, and I can't wait to visit it again next year...
Chat Soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment